The evaluation process...

This is what most teachers dread each year, even more than what difficult child they may get in their classroom.  Children you can deal with many times but adults in leadership are the worst.  Any suggestion, any comment, any wrong emotion is seen as an act of usurpation.  And then you get evaluated...

The process is broken; simply and completely broken.  They always say they are here to help you become a better teacher but that is not what the evaluation shows those in state authoritative positions.  They come in for a random 30 minutes.  They script what they see.  They presume and assume as they write.  They don't know the whole story of what you are doing.  They perceive learning differently because of what they are told to look for by politicians.  They explain they are there for just a "snap shot" of the classroom but then feel they know the whole class.  They ask you questions that have nothing to do with the lesson but have to go by a rubric.  They ask questions that do not have any right choice and you feel like you misunderstood the whole question.

And then they rip into you in their report.

One small word can change everything.  You can go from contract not in jeopardy to in jeopardy with one small word.  Any word could do it.  You end up looking like you can't do anything.

I was once ranked as "skilled" in my district.  But I had a few "developing" areas on the evaluation.  When I had my post conference with this young administrator, I asked questions such as:  did you like what you saw, did you enjoy the process of the lesson, did you learn anything at all?  This young man answered yes to all three questions.  So I told him if you answered yes and you're an adult still learning new stuff then my students learned as well....I am accomplished not just skilled.  By the way the next year I was "accomplished"...imagine that.

My validation is not from some "expert" who hasn't been in the classroom for awhile or even never.  My validation comes from my students who come back to me and thank me for helping them, for getting them through a rough day, for taking time out and explaining something to them, for being a part of their life.  They don't care if I used  smart board or a chalk board.  They don't care if I had my learning targets printed on the board or not.  They care about me caring about them.  They care about knowing I will be there for them.

Comments

  1. Hi Tim, I found the same applied in my time in care work. Your feedback from those at the other end will say whether you are fit for purpose in your job. I loved caring for the elderly, whether in a care homes or out with the general public in their homes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Those who can't...

Those who can...