Egg shells...

This could have easily had been called stuck between a rock and a hard place but I chose this instead because it is a little more accurate.  Either way one of the worse things teachers have to deal with is the fact that they have to be careful about everything they say, watch, do, comment, post, look, feel, express, and even teach.

As a professional teacher I am not arguing for letting someone do any of the above list anytime they want.  For instance we should never say or do anything that ever harms a child, period.  But that is not what I am referring to in this post.

As a teacher we should still be allowed to give our opinions about the way the schools are being ran without any kind of fear of repercussions.  And we all know where those come from.  A child says something to me I can be the adult and try to guide the child into a better way of thinking about the situation or deescalate a situation.  A parent comes in with an issue, in most cases we can talk to a parent and explain an issue, even come to a compromise or "contract" that their child needs to follow through on.  No, these egg shells we have to walk on are with egotistical administrators who think their position allows them to be rude, pushy, threatening, superior, sarcastic, demeaning, (insert negativity).  But, let one of us dare to give an opinion or suggestion, or heaven forbid lay down a precise rational reason why something won't work---and you're labeled for life as trouble maker.

As a teacher I am tired of not being listened to.  I am the one in the classroom dealing with everything.  I am the one who knows these children.  I am the one calling the parents.  I know what works in my classroom.  I am the one whom the child goes to when they need someone outside the family.  I should be allowed to voice my opinion about any and all educational issues.  None of us are in this profession for our own glory.  Those who do that quit within 5 years (or become administrators).  No, we are here to help these children as much as we can.  And sometimes our opinions need to be listened to and accepted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Those who can't...

The evaluation process...

Those who can...